Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD, shall be praised.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

From the Kitchen to the Bathroom! Making homemade toothpaste.

I never thought that my first blog post would be about making toothpaste! But here I am. And to be honest I was expecting something a bit harder. The hardest part of the entire process was actually the research. There are so many different ideas and recipes out there when it comes to cleaning our teeth.

How did such an idea ever cross my mind, you may be asking. Well it all came about from watching a friend of mine make soap (this is the same friend who helps spark many of my adventures). During the process she explained some of the other interesting projects her family was doing. One of those happened to be brushing their teeth with baking soda only. Knowing my husband, I knew I had better start looking for an actual "toothpaste" recipe.

So I went home and began researching. The one I chose consisted of a baking soda base for cleaning, Glycerin as a sweetener, mint extract for flavor and water to make it pasty. You could also add salt for an abrasive. I suggest you do a little research yourself to form your own views.

The Recipe

Ingredients:
1c Baking soda
8 tsp glycerin (2 tsp for every 1/4c)
Mint extract to taste
Enough water to form a paste
A squeezable container (I used a plastic ketchup container I got from Walmart)

The Process:

1. Measure out the baking soda
2. Add the glycerin (more can be added if more sweetness is desired) and mint then mix. This mixture will be clumpy.
3. Next add the water a little at a time. You just want the consistency of paste
and if you are not careful it will be too liquidity.
4. Finally carefully pour the paste into the bottle and you are done and ready to brush!

*Note* be sure to shake the bottle before brushing the soda tends to settle at the bottom. And it does not take nearly as much on the brush as store bought to get the job done!


We have been using the paste for a few days now and it seams to be working fine. There is a slight baking soda taste that pops up the longer you brush, but now I hardly notice it. The children are still getting use to it, but when you are use to an overly sweet trainer toothpaste that is to be expected! I guess the real test will be when we go to the dentist for our 6 month check ups.

Some may be wondering about the cost. Is it worth it financially? After dividing everything up and adding everything together the total for the entire tube was $1.13. But after weighing it I realized that it was twice as large of our store bought tube so that price can actually be halved. The nice thing is I have ingredients to make a couple more batches when we run out. If you want to see the math let me know I will gladly share!








1 comment:

  1. I want a blog too!!! Glad to be here to inspire you!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete