Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD, shall be praised.

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 14, 2010

What to do with all the Saxon Math Meeting Strips

School is quickly approaching and for the most part I am pretty organized this year. Cadence is starting the first grade and Isaac will be doing pre-school (well as much "school" as a 2 1/2 can do).

In all my planning and organizing there was still one thing that remained to figure out, what are we going to do with all these meeting strips that Cadence will be doing each day? So after much pondering this is what I have come up with.

  • I took the master copy of the meeting strips that is in the Saxon Teacher's guide and reformatted on my computer. This way it is just easier to print them out without having to deal with a copier or scanner. As soon as I figure out how to add a document file to the blog I will post it here for you to use.
  • Next I cut out each strip to the same size.
  • Then I found a scrap piece of wood from my scrap wood pile that was just a little larger than the cut strips and sanded it until it was smooth. Then I used left over spray paint and paint the block of wood.
  • Next I placed a meeting strip on the wood and marked where I wanted the holes and nails would be.
  • Finally I used 4 small nails (the heads need to be smaller than the hole of a hole punch) and hammered them into the wood were marked. After that I used a hole punch to punch all the strips to match the nail holes.
And this is the final result, a place to keep all those meeting strips. The great thing is she can set it on her desk and see the date all during school. I am still thinking of what to do just beneath the meeting strip.

1 comment:

  1. What a clever excellent idea! You are very creative! For 2nd and 3rd grade for my boys, I created my own printable meeting strips, based on the ones Saxon provided, with patterns and word problems already written - this helped me be more organized, and let my kids do the meeting strip portion more on their own (good when you have multiple kids who need help!) You can see them here: http://www.ibeleave.com/store/

    ReplyDelete